Sunday, April 24, 2011

Angel food cake french toast

Well, if anyone is like me, I love breakfast foods, and sometimes (as much as I hate saying this) they get a little old. So recently, I have been searching for a fun way to spice up the classic french toast and I found an idea just walking up and down the different bread isles at the store. I love angel food cake, and french toast-why not put them together? It's really simple, and I paired it with a semi-homemade orange syrup to add a kick. Enjoy! 


Angel food cake french toast 

1 pkg. Angel food cake
5 eggs
2 Tb. milk
1 tsp. vanilla 
1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice

Heat your griddle to about 300 and while you're waiting for it to be ready mix in a shallow bowl your eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice. (feel free to add a little more if you like-I start with this amount and depending on my mood I add a little more vanilla or lemon juice to my liking) 

Cut the cake into about 1/2-3/4 inch slices and proceed to dip and fry until each side is golden brown, about 2 min on each side. Remember to just dip the cake lightly-it soaks up the mixture really fast. 


I made this syrup today on the fly because I was craving something with a little zest-so I added a few things to our already bought syrup and voila! I loved it, and think that I will continue tweaking it a little. But until then, enjoy! 


Semi-homemade orange syrup

1 1/2 cups of regular store bought syrup
4 Tb. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tb. sugar
2 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp orange zest

I just added it all together on a stove top (medium heat) and heat till all of the butter is melted. Don't let it boil because it will turn thick  I added a chopped orange wedge in the syrup for some extra texture and flavor.





No comments:

Post a Comment